Saturday, March 10, 2012

First Day Garden, 10 March 2012

I think I’m going to call today the official first day of the garden, 2012. Here it is, in all its burlap glory.













Here’s a closeup of the shabby result of my attempt at lasagna gardening (also known as sheet mulch).














And here are the Zambian Greens that I’m going to attempt to transplant into the lasagna. Maybe next week.














The Greens did pretty well over the winter, I think. They got these pretty purple edges, so they probably have to be picked down. But the little seedlings did great. I’m really hoping they transplant well, because I might not be able to get any more if they don’t. I might leave the entire row on the east side of the garden alone for now, just in case these don’t survive in the burlap.
































Next weekend, if the weather cooperates, I’ll transplant these and also plant potatoes. I hadn’t planned to plant potatoes, given the failed, stubby carrots of last year. But apparently potatoes are one of the few things you can plant right on top of the lasagna, under a layer of straw. Gee, I wonder where I’ll get straw?

We’d like to plant peas this week too. The tentative plan is to plant peas, arugula, and spinach soon – around the middle of March. If we’re going to do tomatoes from seed, we’ll also need to sow those inside right about now. Kale and chard will go into the ground around April 1, the same time as we sow peppers inside. Then things will ramp up in May, with tomatoes, peppers, purslane, cucumber, and parsley. I still need to look up dill, basil, and possibly a few other things.


But the exciting news of the week is that Vince’s fruit trees are already budding! I can’t remember which is which, but one is plums and the other is… something else. Enjoy the buds.














Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment