Friday, March 23, 2012

Getting Things Going: Potatoes, March 17

Let this constitute The Plan. And let us stick to The Plan as much as it makes sense to do so.
















It's time to dare to do something with this lasagna. Soooo, here it is "before."










I've marked out the spots where I'm going to plant little potato culls. Dad said to just make sure there's at least one eye or, preferably, sprout on each piece.








So I cut through the burlap with my VERY dull little sheers.









And stick a little sprouted potato piece in.











With a little help from Ken, I get four rows of four in there, all just from a few leftover potatoes going "bad" on my counter.









Then we cover with straw, and cross our fingers.

















Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. I am curious about the potato lasagna process...does pine straw work? Need anything other than burlap and straw??

    I've never grown them, but I have them ready and seemingly all of the supplies

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read about the potatoes on some website. This isn't it, but it does have some good information: http://ourgardengang.tripod.com/lasagna_gardening.htm. I had put down the cardboard about... 4-5 months ago maybe. I'm not sure how long it has to be there before you can put some potatoes in it. My layers were cardboard, leaves, cardboard, compost/hay/random, cardboard, burlap. The burlap was just to keep the cardboard in place because it kept blowing into the neighbor's yard.

    Good luck! Tell me what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting! Thanks!
    we're using coffee sacks to keep the evil wire grass from taking over the garden and to figure out the layout of pathways and garden we want. I have enough of these left over to make a potato lasagna pit.

    ReplyDelete